[Sca-cooks] Dutch oven question

Korrin S DaArdain korrin.daardain at juno.com
Tue Jul 10 14:35:52 PDT 2001

From: "Vincent Cuenca" <bootkiller at hotmail.com> Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001
17:09:55
>Does anyone have information about or pictures of a device called a
"testo"?
>According to the descriptions I've read, it's a three legged iron pot
with
>a thick lid.  You can pile coals around and on top of it so that it
>functions like a small oven.
>
>While the cast iron Dutch oven that we know of is not necessarily
period, it
>strikes me that it functions in the same way as a testo.  De Nola has a
>number of recipes calling for the pot or pan in question to have coals
>heaped on the top of the lid.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Vicente

Greetings Vicente,
	The pot that you describe sounds like a round bottomed, three legged,
lided pot that I have seen at the local GI Joe's store. Said pot I
believe stands about 18" tall, 2/3 are the pot and 1/3 are the legs. I
think that the lid would hold coals for cooking (bad memory). GI Joe's
described it as an "African pot" or something like that.

Korrin S. DaArdain
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com