[Sca-cooks] Regarding the LIBELLUS DE ARTE COQUINARIA

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jul 10 22:15:06 PDT 2001

Johnnae llyn Lewis said:
> Regarding the LIBELLUS DE ARTE COQUINARIA
>  An Early Northern Cookery Book, I can report as to
> Exactly what this volume is all about. I ordered it direct
> from MRTS and have had it for about three weeks.
>
> The LIBELLUS is among the oldest =A0of culinary recipe
> Collections & dates from the early thirteenth century.
> It survives in 4 versions! Danish, Icelandic, & Low German.
> It is thought to date back to the 12th century.
> It’s a small collection of only 35 recipes.
>
> Society members have known it for many years as the
> Collection published AN OLD ICELANDIC MEDICAL
>  MISCELLANY [Ms. Royal Irish Academy 23D 43.]in
> 1931 by Henning Larsen.

Ah! Thank you, Johnnae. This is much clearer now. This is the
mansuscript(s) that is sometimes called the Harpestraeng cookbook.
We have discussed this volume and the various versions several times
on this list. I believe this is also the original source for Icelandic
Chicken which Master Cariadoc has so spread around the Known World.

For those who would like some more background on this series of
manuscripts take a look at this file in the FOOD-BOOKS section of
the Florilegium.
Harpstrang-cb-msg (34K) 10/19/99    The Harpestraeng cookbook. The
oldest
                                       cookbook in the Western world.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/Harpstrang-cb-msg.html

Although the recipes aren't redacted, I think I may just have to
purchase this book myself, afterall.
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net