[Sca-cooks] Dutch oven question

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Wed Jul 11 01:03:08 PDT 2001

Korrin said:
>	The pot that you describe sounds like a round bottomed, three legged,
>lided pot that I have seen at the local GI Joe's store. Said pot I
>believe stands about 18" tall, 2/3 are the pot and 1/3 are the legs. I
>think that the lid would hold coals for cooking (bad memory). GI Joe's
>described it as an "African pot" or something like that.
These are made in South Africa, and in Afrikaans culture are called potjie
pots (it's pronounced "poykee") - potjie kos being a tradition of cooking
where you layer meats and veges in the pot, cover with some sort of liquid,
and cook on the fire _without stirring_ or lifting the lid, for a
significant length of time.  Kind of the gourmet extension of braai, which
is the local term for barbecue - i.e. otherwise non-cooking men tend to
take it terribly seriously.  Our local Marshal does amazing potjie... :>
The pots are cast-iron and build up a seasoning with repeated use, so the
non-stirring technique doesn't stick.  Some recipes at
http://www.biltongmakers.com/biltong23_potjies_general1.html, if anyone's
that interested!

JdH

Lady Jehanne de Huguenin (Jessica Tiffin) *** melisant at iafrica.com
Chronicler, Kingdom of Drachenwald
http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.