[Sca-cooks] Dutch oven question

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 06:08:14 PDT 2001

--- Jessica Tiffin <melisant at iafrica.com> wrote:
> These are made in South Africa, and in Afrikaans
> culture are called potjie
> pots (it's pronounced "poykee") - potjie kos being a
> tradition of cooking
> where you layer meats and veges in the pot, cover
> with some sort of liquid,
> and cook on the fire _without stirring_ or lifting
> the lid, for a
> significant length of time.

Would this work in a 3-legged cast iron Dutch oven? I
have one, well seasoned, which I intend to take to
Pennsic, and I was thinking it might be fun to try one
of these recipes, if my equipment would work. My
concern would be that the differing shape (the Dutch
oven being flat-bottomed, the potjie being rounded)
might affect the heating characteristics sufficiently
to either burn or otherwise improperly cook the food.

Thanks,

Phlip