[Sca-cooks] Dutch oven question

micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Wed Jul 11 08:45:45 PDT 2001

> Would this work in a 3-legged cast iron Dutch oven? I
> have one, well seasoned, which I intend to take to
> Pennsic, and I was thinking it might be fun to try one
> of these recipes, if my equipment would work. My
> concern would be that the differing shape (the Dutch
> oven being flat-bottomed, the potjie being rounded)
> might affect the heating characteristics sufficiently
> to either burn or otherwise improperly cook the food.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phlip

Phlip, email me if you would like some further Dutch oven sites to check
out. I have become fairly proficient in the last couple of years using
this method of cooking. I also bought a forged Viking tripod and various
hooks and claws last year to try out. Haven't had the nerve to yet
though. Jumping from charcoal/briquette cooking with a Dutch oven to
fire cooking fairly sends me into a swoon. But then, until this past
year bread did the same thing to me so perhaps I am overreacting! :)

Micaylah