[Sca-cooks] Re: Dutch oven question

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 11 14:50:34 PDT 2001

>Would this work in a 3-legged cast iron Dutch oven? I
>have one, well seasoned, which I intend to take to
>Pennsic, and I was thinking it might be fun to try one
>of these recipes, if my equipment would work. My
>concern would be that the differing shape (the Dutch
>oven being flat-bottomed, the potjie being rounded)
>might affect the heating characteristics sufficiently
>to either burn or otherwise improperly cook the food.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Phlip

It shouldn't make that much of a difference.  Cast iron pots and long-cooked
stews can be pretty forgiving things.  I've found that the greater danger of
burning can come from the lid, as these coals get more exposure to air and
burn a little hotter.  Only one thing to do of course... try it out and let
us know what happens!

Vicente