[Sca-cooks] Royal Buffet post-mortem

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 11 10:12:14 PDT 2001

>Interesting that folks didn't go  for the
>chicken or carrots.  I can understand the lentels ;-)

I think people didn't want to be bothered with
putting stuff on a plate. That's one reason I think
a lot of it was eaten by the kids running around
and not people wanting a meal.

>Was it hot out?

It was very hot outside. But this was in a nice
air conditioned hall. And the things I made I
kept in mind that it was stuff to be eaten at
room temperature and left sitting out for a
couple of hours.

>So, what kind of help did you have
>getting all this wonderous lunchon together?

I did all the cooking myself. A couple of people helped
me with set up but mostly I did it all.

>Were there servers left to
>help the guests or was it laid out on a sideboard?

It was a sideboard.

>Did you get any pictures you can share?

Unless someone took a photo of it to put on the event
website I doubt it. I didn't take any. Sorry. And it
was actually rather pretty. I had roses scattered and
roses floating in the water. All of the dishes were
in either nice pottery or silverplate.

>The fountain sounds like such a nice touch.
>Where did you get it?

The fountain is a concrete gargoyle that we have drilled
out and attached a fountain hose for the mouth. It sits
over a pool of whatever is to be drunk and cycles the
drink. If any of you have visited the House Porto torchlight
tourney and Kamakasi revel at Gulf Wars you have seen them.

Thanks for the comments.

Gunthar

(P.S. I've just been selected as an "Iron Chef" contestant
at Pennsic. It's on a slightly different format than the
show. The chefs are notified of their theme ingredient at
the beginning of the week and then present up to 4 dishes
to be sampled by 25 tasters and graded. At the end of the
week, the top average score wins. It should be interesting.)