[Sca-cooks] more shark meat processing

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 10:30:46 PDT 2001

--- XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com wrote:

>From my experiences in CHemistry if you mix an acid
>and a base, it makes salt. Would this make the meat
>too salty or not salty at all? I wonder what
>shark meat marinated in a citrus juice would taste
>like.

You're mostly right, but it would be far more accurate
to say "a salt" rather than just salt, since "just
salt" means sodium cloride, table salt, to most
people, and depending on what you neutralized the
ammonia with, you could have any number of salts, of
varying flavors- ammonium cloride being one example.
Not all salts taste "salty" unlike acids, which all
seem to taste sour.

As far as I could tell you, the best thing to do would
be try. I see no reason why you couldn't buy yourself
a chunk of shark, and try marinating it in lime juice,
salt water,
milk and any of a half a dozen other liquids, just to
see what you liked best.

Phlip