[Sca-cooks] Dutch oven question

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed Jul 11 12:11:25 PDT 2001

Micaylah replied to my comments with:
> > Just in case someone, especially someone new to cooking on cast iron
> > cookware, rushes out to buy this set, please remember that these do
> need
> > to be 'seasoned' before their initial use.
>
> I also store my cast iron "seasoned". I bought a little pump atomizer
> that holds oil and spray my stuff after each use. Its good to get into
> all the little corners and crannies.

I like the idea of using the little pump atomizer to apply the oil.

However, just to clarify this, while simply spraying a layer of oil
on to iron cookware will help protect it from rusting, that is not
the same as "seasoning" it. Seasoning an iron pot requires both the
application of a layer of oil and heat to create a protective, organic
layer similar to other factory applied non-stick polymer layers. If
properly cared for (ie: no cleaning with steel wool and soap) this
layer improves with time and repeated seasoning.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net