[Sca-cooks] Royal Buffet post-mortem

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 11 14:30:58 PDT 2001

>It sounds like the classic situation of 'we're
>trying to do five things at once, and a plate
>just gets in the way' that you usually get at events
>like Coronations. It is much easier to grab a nibble
>each time you walk by the buffet than to 'waste' the
>time taken to sit down with a plate and a
>utensil and actually eat.

Probably. But as I was expecting it to be a lunch
I figured the entourage would grab plates and fill
them for Their Assorted Muckety-Mucks as they did
frantic posing exercises.
This was also why I designed it to sit out over
a few hours. Even Posing Muckety-Mucks like to
get off Their Royal tootsies and munch something
as They are getting Their hair done and jewelry
buffed.

>You see, eating wastes time which could be
>better spent doing other things. Nibbling on the run isn't eating. ;-)

And has the benefit of having no calories either.

>Was the chicken cut up into small pieces suitable
>for grabbing and nibbling, or was it whole breasts?

Basically 1/2 inch dice.
I should have boiled whole chickens and then shredded
the meat. Also, more sauce would have helped. As it
is the leftovers are great in chicken salad and chicken
omelettes.

>In my experience with royalty rooms,
>buffets, and weddings, big pieces like breasts
>are a 'sit-down' type of food, and thus much less
>attractive than small pieces.

Gotcha, no big breasts at Coronation unless you want
to sit down and enjoy them.

>Sauces tend to only get eaten if they are of a smooth
>and dippable consistency, you have to make it really
>obvious that *this* sauce is meant to go with *that*
>food item, and even then, over half the food in question
>will not be eaten with the sauce on it.

The beef was pretty good without sauce. I used London Broil
and seasoned it well then sliced thin against the grain.
His Majesty Ansteorra wanted more during the feast but 4
roasts were gone.

The Camelyne sauce was thick but nicely spreadable. The
Garlic/Pepper was thinner and wonderful. There was a
warning on the Lombard Mustard that it was spicy. Those
that love clear sinuses loved it.

I think I'll be eating carrots and lentils until the
Apocalypse. Urp!

>Margaret FitzWilliam

Gunthar