[Sca-cooks] Sharks and sushi

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 11 19:37:03 PDT 2001

XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/11/01 6:39:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> margali at 99main.com writes:
>
> > Isn't there a form that is
> >  a container of the vinegared rice with the fishy bits scattered
> >  on top and no seaweed? Yep.
>
> Anybody know what it is called? Can't think of it right now
>
> Sushi was popular during the Edo period of Japan. Sort of healthy fast food.
> I've seen it done with eggs, vegetables, raw fish, and other things. Nigiri
> is sushi with the raw fish placed on top. Is there a Japanese name for the
> rolls or is that just call a roll? And how would you describe sashimi?

I believe the scattered fish-etc.-on-top-of-rice-in-a-container is not
in fact nigirizushi, as has been said, but rather chirashizushi, which
translates, I gather, as "scattered sushi".

Rolls are maki, frequently norimaki, for the seaweed wrapper.
Hand-formed sushi "balls", with or without a fish garnish, are nigiri.

Sashimi is a dish of thinly sliced raw fish, sometimes marinated, which
really has little to do with sushi, since sushi is really a rice
preparation (at least in the present day). Whether or not the raw fish
that is often placed on top of sushi is called sashimi, I don't know,
but I rather doubt it.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy