[Sca-cooks] sushi

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 11 21:21:52 PDT 2001

> Rolls are maki, frequently norimaki, for the seaweed wrapper.
> Hand-formed sushi "balls", with or without a fish garnish, are nigiri.

	Right.  Well, I still don't like it.  I have made a small attempt to know
the names of the various dishes at the sushi place, so that I can go back to
the ones I painstakingly work through the menu to find that I like.  Nigiri
is better because I have never warmed to nori, either.  I have found several
other varieties of sea vegetables that I do like, including wakame, arame,
hiziki, and kombu.  Japanese cuisine is one of the only Asian varieties that
I did not take to immediately.  I am slowly learning to enjoy more of it,
but there are many more dishes that I have tried and not liked than the
other way around.  This is almost unique for me and most any other cuisine I
have encountered.  Now, the Miso Seared Pagoda Salmon, *that* I like!

I figure, I know almost nothing, so the thing to do is try almost
everything. But then I was only a professional cook for _10_ years ;  ).
Although I may conceivably have collected some extra combat pay in those
fewer years. Hard to say, though.

Adamantius

	Hm, I wonder what it is about the 10 year mark for professional chefs?
That's how long I lasted before being unable to walk back into my place of
employment without vomiting.  It is also roughly the time period I have
heard from other former chefs as their limit.
I have much more fun cooking now that I don't have to do it for a living
every day.
	Christianna