[Sca-cooks] Creme Brulee

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 11 19:51:51 PDT 2001

Druighad at aol.com wrote:

> Use a blowtorch(acetalyne- sp) to melt the
> sugar into a nice crisp crust.

Can anybody absolutely confirm ever having used an acetylene torch, or a
blowtorch (both very specific items I have never seen in either a home
or commercial kitchen)? I ask because acetylene gas will not easily burn
on its own, without either mixing it with oxygen (which creates a flame
that would ridiculously too hot for creme bruleee, unless you want to
weld a steel lid onto the container) or feeding it, along with a
separate tank of oxygen, through a mixing valve, hose and nozzle.

I have, however, often seen fairly ordinary propane tanks (about the
size of a large aerosol can) from the hardware store, with a torch
nozzle mounted on it, used for this purpose.

So are people just assuming all torches are blowtorches, or that all
torches contain oxy-acetylene, or acetylene alone, or is this just some
kind of linguistic shortcut, or are there a lot of things going on in
people's kitchens that I'm unaware of?

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy