[Sca-cooks] Sparkler inferno (OT, obviously).

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Thu Jul 12 10:09:10 PDT 2001

    A few years back, I ran into the webpage of a group of Ohio State
University engineers that held weekly BBQs. Being the competitive types, and
hating to wait for the charcoal to get ready, they competed to see how fast
they could get the charcoal going. They used forced draft, blowers, etc, and
then hit on the ultimate in high speed fire lighting - LOX (not the fish . .
.).
    They took 60 lbs of charcoal and 1 gal of LOX, (and a DAMNED long pole),
and got the fire going in about 4 seconds. Of course, there was only 10 lbs
of coal left after the LOX burned off, but it was ready . . .
It was remarked that during their experimentation, they had soaked the
briquettes in LOX to see if they'd burn faster, and discovered they did,
with the approximate explosive power of a stick of dynamite. For those with
warped imaginations and access to such, this presents some awesome 4th  of
July possibilities . . .

    Sieggy