Treats for Diabetics was Re: [Sca-cooks] Creme Brulee

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Jul 12 14:21:20 PDT 2001

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Splenda is fairly good stuff. It doesn't turn into salt when you heat
> it, as aspartame does, and tastes slightly less like old sweat socks
> than the other artificial sweeteners I've encountered. The manufacturers
> claim this is because the stuff is made from sucrose, anyway, and
> whether this is all true I don't know, but as these things go it is
> somewhat less god-awful than most products in that line.
>
> The liquid is the best, as far as I'm concerned (although I recall that
> at the moment it is unavailable in the USA, or some such), because my
> own particular needs are such that I wish to avoid the maltodextrin they
> add to give the dry stuff a granular look and feel. Which it doesn't
> have, anyway, because it dissolves so fast.
>
> It makes a pretty good cheesecake... ;  )

But how does it behave chemically? It is my understanding that sugar
isn't just a sweetner, but reacts with other ingredients in ways that
substitutes don't, which is why baked goods tend to be weird when made
with subs. Is there enough sucrose in it to supply the needed reaction?
Is it truly safe then for diabetics? And since we were talking earlier
about creme brulee and sekanjabin syrup- will it carmelize or form a
syrup?

the finally-back-in-Portland-and sleeping-off-the-past-few-months

'Lainie