Treats for Diabetics was Re: [Sca-cooks] Creme Brulee

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jul 12 12:56:22 PDT 2001

Gretchen M Beck wrote:

> Has anyone worked with Splenda at all?
>
> As a diabetic, I can work my way aroung most *foods* served at an event,
> but the drinks are murder.  I'm going to try making sekanjubin with
> Splenda instead of sugar, but if anyone has tried it, or has any hints
> for working with Splenda, I'd love to hear them.

Splenda is fairly good stuff. It doesn't turn into salt when you heat
it, as aspartame does, and tastes slightly less like old sweat socks
than the other artificial sweeteners I've encountered. The manufacturers
claim this is because the stuff is made from sucrose, anyway, and
whether this is all true I don't know, but as these things go it is
somewhat less god-awful than most products in that line.

The liquid is the best, as far as I'm concerned (although I recall that
at the moment it is unavailable in the USA, or some such), because my
own particular needs are such that I wish to avoid the maltodextrin they
add to give the dry stuff a granular look and feel. Which it doesn't
have, anyway, because it dissolves so fast.

It makes a pretty good cheesecake... ;  )

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com