Treats for Diabetics was Re: [Sca-cooks] Creme Brulee

james rich 7152 at cableone.net
Thu Jul 12 20:11:18 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Gretchen M Beck <grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2001 12:53 PM
Subject: Re: Treats for Diabetics was Re: [Sca-cooks] Creme Brulee

> Has anyone worked with Splenda at all?
>
> As a diabetic, I can work my way aroung most *foods* served at an event,
> but the drinks are murder.  I'm going to try making sekanjubin with
> Splenda instead of sugar, but if anyone has tried it, or has any hints
> for working with Splenda, I'd love to hear them.

I'm still new to this list, but I had to respond to your request.  My
husband is a recent diabetic, so I'm still experimenting, but I've had good
luck with the Splenda TM so far.  Two things I have done for him: a
strawberry shortcake, using the old Bisquick Velvet Crumb Cake recipe, but
with Splenda instead of sugar, and Nutrasweet TM on the strawberries.  The
other thing he was missing was the old-fashioned Southern style banana
pudding--with cooked custard and meringue.  I got some diabetic vanilla
wafers, and used the sugar-free Jello pudding ( *cooked** not**instant*)
with a meringue using the Splenda instead of sugar.  Both of these were big
hits with him, and he saird he could not tell the difference between them
and the originals.  ( *I* could tell some difference myself, but it *was*
just different, not bad.).  One thing I like about the Splenda is that it
can be used measure for measure like sugar, but doesn't have the saccharin
aftertaste of Sugar Twin TM.
AElfwenna