[Sca-cooks] Corn Bread & Yeast (haring off in a different directi on)

ruadh ruadh at home.com
Fri Jul 13 07:38:11 PDT 2001

Yeast substitute:  On the bark of maples, and sometimes beeches and birches,
in the northern woods, there grows a green broad-leave lichen variously
known as lungwort, liverwort, lung-lichen and lung-moss. This is an
altogether different growth from the "plant" [we're talking about Lichens
here] commonly called lung-wort and liverwort. I believe its scientific name
is Sticta pulmonacea. This lichen is partly made up of a fungus, which does
the business of raising the dough.  Gather a little of it and steep it over
night in luke warm water, set near the embers, but not near enough to get
overheated [ its making Yeast ]. In the morning pour off the infusion and
mix it with enough flour to make a batter, beating it up with a spoon.
Place this "sponge"  in a warm covered pan, and set back near the fire to
work. By evening it will have risen. Leaven your dough with this [ saving
some of the sponge for a future baking].  Treat it like a sourdough starter.

This is what Grandpaw, taught me while lumbering thru his wood farm.  We
also used fresh fallen snow as a substitute for eggs in the corn bread.
Makes a nice 'lite' coloured yellow, not the yolk tint. And baking powder
from the ash of some hardwoods.  Lets really get back to period cooking by
the poor folks.
Ru - enjoying 'flask'-backs of his youth, and four generations of family
birthdays this month. See what gets dredged up in February when its Five
generations and Grandpaw 'nails' down 100.