Treats for Diabetics was Re: [Sca-cooks] Creme Brulee

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 13 09:36:49 PDT 2001

Selene wrote:
>Upon Stefan's advice, I purchased the Atkins' syrups for the snow cones last
>weekend.  They were a big hit, and you have the sincere thanks of several
>cooled-down diabetics from way out west here.  What was available
>were Strawberry
>and Vanilla flavors, which people really liked.  Vanilla Ice?  Well,
>they yummed it
>up.

Hmmm. I bought two Atkins syrups (BTW i got them at a GNC -
supposedly stands for General Nutrition Center), chocolate and
raspberry. The ingredients look good:
water, natural raspberry flavor with other natural flavors, citric
acid, cellulose gum, sucralose (a nonnutritive sweetener), less than
0.1 per cent sodium benzoate (to preserve flavor quality), elderberry
juice color.

To say i was disappointed with the taste would be an understatement.
Had both my bottles "gone bad"? The sweetness was ok - i'm not big on
sweet and it tended to cloy and was awfully long lasting - but sugar
has a similar if somewhat less long lasting effect. But there was
also this persistent sour flavor - not sharp and tangy like lemon,
but... i don't know, it was just unpleasant.

I used the syrup to flavor carbonated water, but was drinking it at
room temperature because i don't like ice. Would it have been tastier
really cold?

Anyway, i was wondering, does Splenda taste similar? Cuz i'd really
like to have something with which to flavor all the water i'm
drinking on my low-carb diet (and i am losing weight. Yea!) and if
Splenda is better...

Anahta