[Sca-cooks] Measurement query for European members

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Fri Jul 13 20:38:48 PDT 2001

>> Very easy:  2 cups to a pint, 2 pints to a quart, 4 quarts to a
>gallon; or
>> cup = 8 oz., pint = 16 oz., quart = 32 oz., gallon = 128 oz.
>>
>> What throws me is the Imperial pint is 20 oz.

. . . and I live on a farm, too, where crops are measured in
bushels. And the farm is measured in acres, and when it was
originally surveyed (I have copies of most of the county
courthouse's buy/sell records), was done so using miles,
chains, and rods. Note that those are lengths, not physical
atifacts (although I believe the artifacts are also the appropriate
length - i.e., the chain used to measure land is one chain
long.) Quiz: anyone out there actually know how long one
rod and one chain are? <grin>
(640 acres in a square mile. One acre is equal to a square
approximately 208.something feet on a side. You don't want
to know how many gallons there are in an acre-foot. I once
figured it out.)

Alban