[Sca-cooks] Re: Potatoes Revisited

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jul 14 00:53:09 PDT 2001

Alys Katharine said:
> Stefan wrote regarding the potato recipes:
> >But are these for white potatos or sweet potatos. I think these
> actually
> >might be better using sweet potatos. I think it might be a mistake
> >quickly assume that 'potato' in this recipe means a white potato.
>
> I didn't assume they _were_ white potatoes.  I'm assuming that they
> are what we know as sweet potatoes, both of which are called
> potatoes.  IIRC, in the previous discussion folk were bandying about
> both white and sweet.  Using one word to refer to two different (but
> similar) items reminds me of that old joke.  "Watch out for that
> dog!"  "What dog?"  (Crash, smash, bang.)  "The Greyhound."

Alys, that was not really directed at you but at the list in general.
We just recently had a discussion here on whether potatos were
period. Someone mentioned some period potato recipes. I didn't
want to see these recipes suddenly used to try to prove white
potatos were eaten in period.

However, reading it myself, I couldn't really point to any evidence
in the recipes themselves that said whether these were white or
sweet potatos, other than I think sweet potatos would be much better
in these recipes than white potatos. Even today, I think we do see
sweet potatos topped with brown sugar, right? But not white potatos.

So while I don't have good evidence that these weren't white potatos,
I thought maybe someone else would. And in either case, maybe folks
might think about it before quickly declaring that here was evidence
for eating white potatos in period.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net