[Sca-cooks] Re: Potatoes Revisited

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 13 08:43:49 PDT 2001

Stefan wrote regarding the potato recipes:
>But are these for white potatos or sweet potatos. I think these
actually
>might be better using sweet potatos. I think it might be a mistake
>quickly assume that 'potato' in this recipe means a white potato.

I didn't assume they _were_ white potatoes.  I'm assuming that they
are what we know as sweet potatoes, both of which are called
potatoes.  IIRC, in the previous discussion folk were bandying about
both white and sweet.  Using one word to refer to two different (but
similar) items reminds me of that old joke.  "Watch out for that
dog!"  "What dog?"  (Crash, smash, bang.)  "The Greyhound."

Not to stir the pot, so to speak, but I found at least two turkey
recipes, one of which the modern editor insists is referring to the
"guinea hen".

Alys Katharine, hungry