[Sca-cooks] Cauldron cooking

Hrolf Douglasson Hrolf at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 14 14:20:34 PDT 2001

-
> .  Has anyone
> worked with the type of cauldron cooking where you cook things in pudding
> bags or in crock in the cauldron?
Yes regularly.
I cook both in pudding bags....especially sweet things like spotted dick ans
clootie dumpling.
Boiled suet puddings with fruit in them I use vegatarian suet to cater for
some of my group being allergic to meat.
If I use a crock in the cauldron I tend to put a cloth or trivet in the
bottom to stop the crock banging on the base.
I didn't once and ended up with a broken pot.
I tend to do this sort of recipie when I am going to be busy elsewhere and
have someone I can trust to keep the cauldron topped up with water.
I also support the cloth tied stuff in the water by tying it onto the chain
holding the cauldron. it stops it sticking to the bottom.
hope this helps
vara