[Sca-cooks] re: online glossary

Marian Rosenberg Marian at therosenbergfamilies.net
Mon Jul 16 02:32:23 PDT 2001

> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] re: online glossary
> Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 21:25:28 -0400
> From: Kirrily Robert <skud at infotrope.net>
> To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
>
> In lists.sca.sca-cooks, you wrote:
> >
> >quelquechoses =
>
> A dish made of many things, perhaps left-overs, and often including
> eggs. Quelquechoses may include meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, herbs,
> spices, and more.
>
> A quelquechose as per the recipe below (but minus the pigs petitoes) is

what are pigs petitoes?

can one substitute bacon, ham, pork, or more "normal" pig pieces for
them?

> To make a Quelquechose, which is a mixture of many things together; take
> the Eggs and break them, and do away one half of the Whites, and after
> they are beaten, put them to a good quantity of sweet Cream, Currants,
> Cinnamon, Cloves, Mace, Salt, and a little Ginger, Spinage, Endive, and
> Mary-gold flowers grosly chopt,

I don't seen Endive or Marygold flowers on the Pepperer's Guild webpage,
does anyone know where one can get these for the spice cabinet?

As for spinach, in this recipe, should it be used as one would use a
herb, or should it be used as an ingredient?

I would think, from its place in the recipe that it would be a sparsely
used herb for coloring, but I'm not sure.  Suggestions?

-M