[Sca-cooks] Dutch oven question

Marian Rosenberg Marian at therosenbergfamilies.net
Mon Jul 16 02:39:48 PDT 2001

> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Dutch oven question
> Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 22:10:59 -0400
> From: Kirrily Robert <skud at infotrope.net>
> To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org, <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>

> So here's my question: is there any significant variation in the quality
> of dutch ovens?  In particular, would I regret buying a basic dutch oven
> from a reputable camping goods store, and wish I'd paid extra to have it
> hand-cast by the ancient and sekrit dutch masters of pot-making?  Is the
> difference (if it exists) anything that I'd notice in my use of it, or
> would it be a matter of it lasting only 100 years instead of 300 years?

Cast iron is generally better than cast aluminum if you are willing to
go to the trouble of maintaining it.

If you buy one from a camping goods store, make sure to buy one with the
lipped lid instead of the domed lid.  In my experience, the lipped lid
can do everything the domed one can do, but you can't put coals on a
domed lid.  Does anyone here know why some dutch ovens have domed lids,
is there any practical reason for a lid shaped like that?

The biggest ultra super problem I've ever encountered with dutch ovens
(or any fire cooking) is convincing people that you can't have a camp
bonfire if you want to cook on it.  If you have ridiculous quantities of
wood, bonfires are wonderful warm things to sit and watch.  But you
cannot cook on them, and you cannot even cook very efficiently near
them.  Last Pennsic, Mike had to dig out an extra fire pit and take
coals from the camp bonfire so as to cook with the dutch oven.

-M