[Sca-cooks] Dutch oven question

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Mon Jul 16 00:31:22 PDT 2001

greetings, the List!

A long time ago (well, last week) Phlip asked, in re the potjie recipes:
>Would this work in a 3-legged cast iron Dutch oven? I
>have one, well seasoned, which I intend to take to
>Pennsic, and I was thinking it might be fun to try one
>of these recipes, if my equipment would work. My
>concern would be that the differing shape (the Dutch
>oven being flat-bottomed, the potjie being rounded)
>might affect the heating characteristics sufficiently
>to either burn or otherwise improperly cook the food.
Roight, I asked our local Marshal, the undisputed King of Potjie in our
area, and he emphatically says No, it won't work in a flat-bottomed pot,
the method depends quite heavily on the round base.  He says he's tried,
and instead of getting a delicious mix of meat and vegetables in sauce, you
get a burnt layer on the bottom and a raw one on top :>.  So I fear if you
want to try the recipes, it would probably be worth investing in a proper
potjie pot.

in service,
JdH

Lady Jehanne de Huguenin (Jessica Tiffin) *** melisant at iafrica.com
Chronicler, Kingdom of Drachenwald
http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.