[Sca-cooks] Torta Sambuccea

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Jul 16 07:27:45 PDT 2001

In a message dated 7/16/2001 9:11:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
margali at 99main.com writes:

> Great idea to make cheese at Pennsic ;-)
>
> There is a chemical that you have to add to pasteurized
> homogenized milk to make it curd up when you add the rennet
> [animal or vegetable type] so I would suggest that you go to :
> http://www.cheesemaking.com/

I don't know about hard cheeses (which I understand have to ripen for some
time, anyway), but rennet or chemicals are not needed to make soft, cottage
cheese type cheeses.  Pretty much all you need to do is warm the milk to skin
temperature and add lemon juice or vinegar (I have the relative quantities
somewhere), drain the whey out, rinse the curds, add a little salt, and
flavor with herbs if desired.  I did some at Pennsic myself last year, and
one of my shire members has been doing them with flavored vinegars and
getting good result (I think the raspberry vinegar was his favorite so far).

Brangwayna Morgan