[Sca-cooks] Torta Sambuccea

margali margali at 99main.com
Mon Jul 16 14:28:18 PDT 2001

;-)
But when I do a curdled cheese using vinegar, wine  or lemon
juice it comes out tasting like it has been left in the sun for a
few days without benefit of refrigeration ... if i use a chemical
such as rennet [I make my cheese with raw milk] I don't get the
same problem. I think it is an issue of the pasteurization
changing the flora living in the milk once it has been opened. At
least with raw milk, the original mesophilic buggies taste right
to me ;-)

margali
and we won't go into the taste of yuuuugh-urt to me ;-)]

~~~~~
the quote starts here:
I don't know about hard cheeses (which I understand have to ripen
for some
time, anyway), but rennet or chemicals are not needed to make
soft, cottage
cheese type cheeses.  Pretty much all you need to do is warm the
milk to skin
temperature and add lemon juice or vinegar (I have the relative
quantities
somewhere), drain the whey out, rinse the curds, add a little
salt, and
flavor with herbs if desired.