[Sca-cooks] Vegetable rennets (was Re: Cheese-making note )

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 16 23:24:37 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----

The Catalan use a vegetable coagulant in cheesemaking called "herba-col".
No

one I talked to could tell me what it is. No one on the cheesemaking
boards

had heard of it when I posed the question last year. Does anyone here
know

what "herba-col" is? I'm wondering if it might be an alternate name for
the

cardoon flower.

Thomas Longshanks

I never heard of it, either, but a search on Google brought up the
following page:

http://www.uib.es/depart/dba/botanica/herbari/generes/Cynara/cardunculus/index.html

Cynara cardunculus L is
the Latin name for the cardoon or globe
artichoke.

I notice that one of the other common names in Catalan for
this plant is "Card de formatjar" which would be

"Cheesemaking cardoon", yes?

Brighid ni Chiarain

--- Robin Carroll-Mann

--- rcmann4 at earthlink.net