[Sca-cooks] Vegetable rennets (was Re: Cheese-making note )

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 18 21:05:28 PDT 2001

(snip)
> Cynara cardunculus L is
> the Latin name for the cardoon or globe
> artichoke.
>
> I notice that one of the other common names in Catalan for
> this plant is "Card de formatjar" which would be
>
> "Cheesemaking cardoon", yes?
>

> Brighid ni Chiarain

Yes. The cardoon is used to make various cheeses, sometimes denoted by
"...de flor". The cheeses I've read about or tasted that are made using
herba-col, instead of rennet, aren't identified in any special way (e.g.,
mato'). Ah, well. Just one of those things I'm continuing to research.
Thanks for the reply.

Thomas Longshanks