[Sca-cooks] Article: Feasting with Food Allergies

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 17 13:48:26 PDT 2001

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:

> > 4. Assume you will be lied to about spices. I have heard people get told
> > there was no _______ in something, when there is, but they didn't think
> > such a small amount would hurt. Ask a direct question like "Any __ - any
> > at all? Did you even handle the ____ while you cooked this?"
>
> Is it my imagination, or is this the equivalent of 'don't eat feasts if you have an allergy?
>
> Perhaps those on the list who are in food service can clarify this for me:
> but my brothers and mother who have all been in food service-- not to mention
> kitchen helpers that come from food service and don't know not to use the same
> ladle in two different types of soup, then put it in the first soup--
> indicate to me that people expect a much higher level of protection from
> potential allergens in SCA feasts than they get in restaurants.

I dunno, perhaps you're imagining that. I think perhaps they may expect
(or some of them) the same level, but not necessarily higher.

> If someone was that afraid  of contact with a potential allergen, I would say
> "Since I have some of that stuff in my kitchen at home, and some of this
> food was cooked in my home,
> here's your money back. You shouldn't eat this meal, a speck of that stuff
> might have been in the air when I was preparing it, even though all
> reasonable precautions have been taken."
>
> -- Jadwiga, who resents being called a liar even in the collective.

I think... I hope... it was just a bad choice of words.  And then there
are cooks who will fail to mention something that may turn out to be
significant. "It needed a little something. It was only a little pepper..."

On the other hand, you'd think a SCAdian would know better than to use
the word "lie" in this context, particularly one who deals with people a
lot, as a chirurgeon does.

(And in case anybody sees any possible hidden meaning to this, no,
you're not imagining it. You know who you are ;  )    )

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com