[Sca-cooks] Pastillus

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed Jul 18 06:52:16 PDT 2001

In a message dated 7/17/2001 9:22:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Marian at therosenbergfamilies.net writes:

> Having negated the issue of good steady temperature refrigeration and
> freezing, can you detail any other problems that might occur in using
> puff pastry when camping?

OK, well admittedly the stuff I've used was filo dough, which may be
different, but:
1. It dries out really quickly even indoors.  Every time you take a layer off
the stack to add to your dish or whatever, you have to cover the rest
immediately with damp toweling.  When it dries, it either sticks together or
cracks and falls apart.
2. Pretty much every layer needs to be swabbed with melted butter as soon as
you lay it down.
So at the point the process is:  Prepare all work surfaces beforehand - know
where things are going, have wet towels ready, butter melted, etc.  Remove
dough from package, unroll onto designated surface, peel off one sheet and
cover remainder immediately.  Lay out first sheet.  Brush with butter.
Uncover, get second sheet, cover, lay out, brush, repeat ad infinitum.
3.  It takes a bloody long time.  To cover single boned chicken breast (well,
half breasts) in a wrapping took nearly an hour for about 6 pieces.  By the
end of that time, the dough had dried out even under the towelling and I
ended up throwing the rest of it out.
YMMV, but I'd rather wrap them in pie dough and save the time and effort.

<<> Well, ground meat is meat that has been cut up fine, and a grinder is a
bunch
> of small knives...I'd use ground beef here myself, most likely.  If the
> original recipe had specified cooked meat that was then cut up fine, then I
> would have roasted or boiled it and chopped it myself.

Newby cook moment: What's the difference?

Texture, mostly.  Cooked ground beef ends up in little round crumbles.
Precooked then chopped beef is more like either very small dice or shreds.
Mundane comparison: ground beef crumbles compared with the shredded beef you
sometimes get in good Mexican food.

Brangwayna Morgan