[Sca-cooks] Pastillus

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Wed Jul 18 09:01:14 PDT 2001

    I've found that working phyllo is a 2 person job, and the easiest thing
to do is to have a (food safe) pump sprayer full of melted butter kept in a
bain marie when not actually spraying. One person flips the sheets while the
other sprays and adds fillings. Being in a cool, fairly high humidity
environment helps, too.
    Doing it alone generally results in somewhere between a third and a
quarter of the sheets getting ruined, but are still useable. They just look
like tatters . . . And yes, have EVERYTHING ready before you open the
package of dough, the time you have to work it is very short, indeed.
    For wrapping breasts in phyllo , I found that if you spray & lay the
sheets, fold them in half, and then lay the breast and wrap it in the
buttered layers, it's a whole lot easier than wrapping each sheet
individually.

    Sieggy