[Sca-cooks] Re: Treacle and taste

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Jul 18 10:50:38 PDT 2001

Christina Nevin wrote:

>         Johnnae llyn Lewis
>          I couldn't abide the taste of golden syrup when I was
>         in the UK for our year in the 1980's, but I will readily use both
> maple
>         and corn syrups. I am sure that English brought up on "golden syrup"
>         would rather have it than corn syrup or maple.
>
> Mmm, I have tins of Lyle & Tate's Treacle and Golden Syrup and (real
> Canadian) maple syrup sitting on my shelf. Grew up on Golden Syrup in NZ (my
> dad worked for a sugar refinery for 20 years so we got it free) and still
> love it. But I think maple syrup (esp. with bacon & pancakes for breakfast)
> is a taste sensation and definitely my favorite. You're right though - I
> can't say I care for corn syrup. And the treacle is definitely only for
> cooking purposes.
>
> Lucrezia
>

> See what I mean. I am an Illinois farm girl myself so using corn syrup
 which was produced just west of us in Decatur, Illinois was just part
of
 supporting local industry and the family farm. That plant by the way
has
been taken over and is now part of the Lyle & Tate's empire. But as far
as I know, it still doesn't make "Golden Syrup".

Johnnae llyn Lewis

Johnna Holloway