[Sca-cooks] period fried chicken?

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Wed Jul 18 15:30:12 PDT 2001

At 05:13 PM 7/18/01 -0500,Mark.S Harris said something like:
>Jana gave a recipe:
>
>PICKLED PULLETS
>The French Cook
>
>Jana, or anyone else, can you give us more details on the original
>recipe? It does sound interesting. I wonder how the taste changes if
>the meat is kept in the pickling juice for a week or two instead of
>only a few hours. If this is meant to preserve the meat, why the
>"3 hours maximum" in the redacted recipe? If this does keep the
>meat, I wonder if this would work for keeping meat without refrigeration
>for things like Pennsic.
>
>Stefan li Rous
>stefan at texas.net

 From what I observed, while cooking the pickled chicken (at that
particular feast), if you left the chicken in that marinade much longer, it
would be completely cooked, and do what cooked chicken does, fall apart.

I'd definitely play with this at home before attempting to use it 'out in
the field', such as at Pennsic.  We marinated a bit less than three hours,
and the outsides of the chicken was thoroughly cooked, with the centers
were still slightly pink. It was a very lovely dish though.

Regards,
Maggie MacD.