[Sca-cooks] period fried chicken?

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed Jul 18 15:13:27 PDT 2001

Jana gave a recipe:

PICKLED PULLETS
The French Cook

After they are will dressed. cleave them in two, if they are small.
break
their bone and set them a pickling with vinegar, salt, peper, chibol and
lemon peels: let them steep therein, till you have occasion to use them,
and
then set them a draining, flowre them, and frie them in fresh seame or
lard;
after they are fryed, stove them a very little with their pickle them
serve
them with a short sauce.

Redaction by THL Gillian of Lynnhaven and Magnus Gra'hetta

<snip>

Cut chicken into strips. (each breast in 1/2 then in 1/3 strips)
Marinade
in first 5 ingredients 3 hours maximum.
Drain off the pickling juice and reserve.  Roll the chicken pieces in
flour
and fry in Indian sesame oil.
<snip>

We've discussed chicken recipes many times before, including some that
were fried. This is the first that I can remember that calls for the
chicken to be floured and then fried. Sounds pretty close to modern
fried chicken to me.

But I don't recognise the book and there is not time frame for the
recipe given. So this might not actually be a period recipe.

Jana, or anyone else, can you give us more details on the original
recipe? It does sound interesting. I wonder how the taste changes if
the meat is kept in the pickling juice for a week or two instead of
only a few hours. If this is meant to preserve the meat, why the
"3 hours maximum" in the redacted recipe? If this does keep the
meat, I wonder if this would work for keeping meat without refrigeration
for things like Pennsic.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net