[Sca-cooks] Poppycock

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 12:50:28 PDT 2001

--- Nikki McGeary <draculachanter at yahoo.com> wrote:
> <While I have no idea what the taste of hemp seed is
> <like, for some reason poppy seeds came to my mind.
> <know that they are a period substance and when
> <consumed just before taking a drug test, they will
> <give a false positive for opium use.  I guess it is
> <the drug connection and not anything else that I am
> <thinking of.
>
> <Huette
>
> Actually, very large amounts of poppy seeds would
> have
> to be consumed for the average person to show any
> such
> signs, and it also depends on his/her metabolism.
>
> Heloise

That may be true.  But there was a court case a couple
of years ago where an company required all its
employees to take annual drug tests.  One employee
tested positive for drugs and was fired.  He hired a
lawyer and fought the case in court.  His defense was
that he had eaten a dozen poppyseed muffins for
breakfast and that caused the false positive on the
test.  Both sides' experts pretty much said the same
as you, but neither could rule out the possibility
entirely.  Since all subsequent tests came out
negative, the employee won the case and received a
substantial amount of money for wrongful termination.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.