[Sca-cooks] A redaction of Platina's Hemp Dish

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed Jul 18 16:52:28 PDT 2001

The "Underground Cooks Collective" posted:
> Some dishes from period sources are rarely going to be attempted by modern
> cooks. These include, for obvious reasons, Platina's two recipes involving
> hempseed. Taking advantage of a small quantity of seed which recently made
> itself available, we recently decided to produce a version of his "Cibarium
> Cannabinum" (Hemp Dish) (VII:49).

<snip>
> Does anyone know of other recipes using them (aside from the versions of
> these two in Martino, whence Platina copied them)?
>
> We're interested in suggestions for substitutes for hempseed, as this dish
> is well worthy of being served more widely. Those living in areas where
> cultivation of industrial hemp (low-THC cannabis) is legal might be able to
> get access to seeds of that variety and thus be able to serve a fully
> authentic version of the dish, but it would be useful to know of other
> grains which might serve as well.

Thank you. This will be a nice addition to the Florilegium.

You might want to check the recipes given in this file in the PLANTS,
HERBS
AND SPICES section of the Florilegium:
hemp-msg          (42K)  4/24/01    Use of hemp in period. In ropes, as
an
                                      intoxicant, clothing. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/hemp-msg.html

These related files might also be of interest.
In the PERSONAL CARE section:
smoking-msg       (14K)  7/12/01    Period smoking of tobacco and other
plants.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAL/smoking-msg.html

In the TEXTILE ARTS section:
hemp-cloth-msg    (23K)  4/ 8/97    Cloth and clothing made with hemp
fibers.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/hemp-cloth-msg.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net