[Sca-cooks] Article: Feasting with Food Allergies

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jul 18 23:15:26 PDT 2001

Finnebhir said:
> Giving people their money back, hmmm.... Well, I think if they know they have
> an allergy, and have signed up for feast, then they are responsible enough to
> take the chances on what's being served and should be prepared to take
> whatever steps are necessary to prevent a reaction. Even if it means not
> eating.

I agree that it is the responsibility of the person with the allergy
to ask about possible problem ingredients ahead of time.

The list of ingredients should ideally be available before a person
needs to put down money for the feast. If it isn't, then the person
should get their money back if they later find out there are too
many foods they cannot eat.

This is probably a bigger concern in those areas that require pre-paid
feast reservations, although it does apply at the event gate also, for
those like Ansteorra that don't. By that time, the menu and ingredient
list certainly should be available.

If the lists were available before the person paid, then I can quite
see where they shouldn't get their money back. However, if there is
a stand-by list and the feast spot can be sold to another, then I
think there should be little problem in issueing a refund.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net