[Sca-cooks] Article: Feasting with Food Allergies

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Tue Jul 17 10:41:02 PDT 2001

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 12:26:00 -0400 (EDT) jenne at fiedlerfamily.net writes:
> Does anybody know which red food colorings these
>are?
>-- Jadwiga

     While I do not know which natural red food colourings produce
allergic reactions, I can give you two natural red food colourings that I
have read on ingredient labels myself.  Snapple Strawberry-kiwi something
(lemonade??) uses Cochineal--which happens to be one of the most ancient
sources for red dye in the world.  It's also crushed bug bodies.  And
Dannon yogurt uses the juice from the 'period' purple carrot as a dye for
Strawberry banana yogurt.  I got a chance to try purple carrots recently,
and they are far juicier than their anemic orange cousins!   Both items I
have consumed with no ill effect.

      I have, however noticed that the red food colouring associated with
cake decorating is rather foul tasting.  Friends made me a 'Red Velvet'
cake that I literally had to force myself to eat each bite; it was bitter
and metallic tasting, very nasty!

     Elizabeth