[Sca-cooks] Article: Feasting with Food Allergies

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Jul 18 14:04:09 PDT 2001

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Elizabeth A Heckert wrote:

>       I have, however noticed that the red food colouring associated with
> cake decorating is rather foul tasting.  Friends made me a 'Red Velvet'
> cake that I literally had to force myself to eat each bite; it was bitter
> and metallic tasting, very nasty!

Red icing color (and black, for that matter) are notorious for being nasty
tasting, in part because you have to use so much to get a deep color. The
trick is to use chocolate or cocoa, and then color. Works much better that
way. Wilton's makes a no-taste red, but I haven't found that it has *no*
taste, merely *less* taste.

Which is why I always try to caution against red except as an accent color
in *very* small amounts.

Margaret FitzWilliam