[Sca-cooks] Re: Period Fried Chicken

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jul 19 09:01:11 PDT 2001

Greetings.  The "Pickled Pullets" sounded tasty so I copied off the
recipe.  Just read it this morning and now I have a question.  It
says to set the chicken in a pickling of vinegar, salt, pepper,
chibol and lemon peels and to let them steep.  Then the chicken is
fried, and they are served with some of the pickle in which they (as
raw chickens) sat for a number of hours.  My question is... Is this
safe?  Does that pickling really kill all the nasty raw chicken
germs that we are warned about?  How come modern marinades, to which
you add vinegar and water, tell you to throw out the marinade and
not re-use it?

Alys Katharine