[Sca-cooks] Re: Period Fried Chicken

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Thu Jul 19 11:02:24 PDT 2001

At 11:01 AM 7/19/01 -0500,Elise Fleming said something like:
>Greetings.  The "Pickled Pullets" sounded tasty so I copied off the
>recipe.  Just read it this morning and now I have a question.  It
>says to set the chicken in a pickling of vinegar, salt, pepper,
>chibol and lemon peels and to let them steep.  Then the chicken is
>fried, and they are served with some of the pickle in which they (as
>raw chickens) sat for a number of hours.  My question is... Is this
>safe?  Does that pickling really kill all the nasty raw chicken
>germs that we are warned about?  How come modern marinades, to which
>you add vinegar and water, tell you to throw out the marinade and
>not re-use it?
>
>Alys Katharine

This marinade is added to the pan after the chicken has been cooked and
removed, and it deglazes the pan (as well as making a very tasty
gravy).  Any of the nasty germs/microbes that COULD be in the marinade are
then very well cooked, just like the chicken.  You don't just toss the
marinade in the pan then toss it on the plate, it gets cooked for several
minutes. (Or at least, that's the way we did it at the feast).

Regards,
Maggie MacD.