[Sca-cooks] Re: Trifle (?OOP) was victoria

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 19 20:11:57 PDT 2001

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> Druighad at aol.com wrote:
> A good basic but I am used to using 8 yolks, 1 cup sugar, 4 oz. cornstarch, as a stabilizer.

<<<<<<We don't gotta use no stabilizers. We don' neeed no stabilizers. We are Classically trained French cooks. We don't need no steenkeeng stabilizers!!!
Adamantius of the Sierra Madre  >>>>>>>

I gotta go with this.  A well tended and gently heated custard is plenty stable for hours/a couple of days sans the starch.  The egg stabilzes with the sugar molecules.  Starch just means your target zone grows to a size you could hit with a gatlin gun.

niccolo difrqancesco
"Fistful of Egg Yolks"