[Sca-cooks] Kitchens

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 20 07:19:04 PDT 2001

>If this were the best of all possible worlds, and y'all were
>faced with the chance to build the best of all possible sites
>for SCA usage, what would the best of all possible kitchens
>be like?
>
>Alban

If I had my dream SCA site the best of all kitchens would
be two kitchens. One side would be a modern commercial
kitchen. The works. A couple of stoves, grills, griddles,
steamer, salamander, cooking stations, walk-ins,...etc.

The one across the hall would have few modern conviences.
Woodburning ovens and fireplaces. Huge fireplaces with
spits (probably electric or clockwork turned since we
don't want dogs or drudges to do it.) Huge cutting tables.
Cauldrons and pots and all that.

The two could be at once for each meal depending on the
dishes. This would give the cooks the chance to learn proper
period cookery but also have the opportunity of the more
familiar modern kitchen.

Gunthar