[Sca-cooks] online glossary

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Jul 20 08:18:48 PDT 2001

> Rockes =
> (A Closet for Ladies and Gentlewomen, 1636) - To make another sort of
> Marmelade... then powder the seeds of red Nettles, of Rockes, of each one
> dram... [MEDICINE]

Rocket?

> Cyprus and Calamus =
> (A Closet for Ladies and Gentlewomen, 1636) - To make an especiall sweet
> Powder... Cyprus and Calamus of each halfe an ounce... [INEDIBLE]

Calamus would be calamus root, i.e. Sweet flag root.
Cyprus may be oak moss.

> Decoction =
> Digby (1669) White metheglin of my Lady Hungerford - This Proportion of
> Herbs is to make six Gallons of Decoction... take the clear Decoction
> (leaving the settlings)...

In modern Herbalism, a Decoction is formed when you make a tea of the item
but instead of pouring the hot water over the vegetable matter, you boil
the vegetable matter in the water.

Try this info from Culpeper's English Physitian
http://www.med.yale.edu/library/historical/culpeper/direct.htm

"Secondly, Syrups made by Decoction are usually used of Compounds yet may
any Simple Herb be thus converted into Syrup; Take the Herb, Root, or
Flower you would make into Syrup and bruise it a little, then boyl it in a
convenient quantity of Spring Water, the more water you boyl it in the
weaker will it be, a handful of the Herb, Root, &c. is a convenient
quantity for a pint of Water; boyl it till half the water be consumed,
then let it stand till it be almost cold, and strain it (being almost
cold) through a woollen cloth, letting it run out at leisure without
pressing, to every pint of this Decoction ad one pound of Sugar and boyl
it over the fire till it come to a Syrup, which you may know if you now
and then cool a little of it in a spoon, scum it all the while it boyls,
and when it is sufficiently boyled, whilst it is hot strain it again
through a woollen cloth, but press it not; thus have you the Syrup
perfected."

The next chapter in the book, On Decoctions, says:

"Of Decoctions.

1. All the difference between Decoctions and Syrups made by Decoction is
this, Syrups are made to keep, Decoctions only for present use,
for you can hardly keep a Decoction a week at any time, if the weather be
hot, not half so long.

2. Decoctions are made of Leaves, Roots, Flowers, Seeds, Fruits, or Barks,
conducing to the cure of the Disease you make them for; in the
same manner are they made as we shewed you in Syrups.

3. Decoctions made with Wine last longer than such as are made with Water,
and if you take your Decoction to clense the passages of
Urine, or open Obstructions, your best way is to make it with white Wine
instead of Water, because that is most penetrating.

4. Decoctions are of most use in such Diseases as lie in the Passages of
the Body, as the Stomach, Bowels, Kidneys, Passages of Urine, and
Bladder, because Decoctions pass quicker to those places than any other
form of Medicines.

5. If you will sweeten your Decoction with Sugar, or any Syrup fit for the
occasion you take it for which is better, you may and no harm
done.

6. If in a Decoction you boyl both Roots, Herbs, Flowers, and Seeds
together, let the Roots boyl a good while first, because they retain their
Vertue longest, then the next in order by the same Rule; viz. 1. the
Barks, 2. the Herbs, 3. the Seeds, 4. the Flowers, 5. the Spices if you
put
any in, because their vertue
comes soonest out.

7. Such things as by boyling cause sliminess to a Decoction, as Figs,
Quince Seeds, Linseed &c. your best way is, after you have bruised
then, to tie them up in a linnen rag, as you tie up a Calves Brains, and
so boyl them.

8. Keep all Decoctions in a Glass close stopped, and in the cooler place
you keep them, the longer will they last ere they be sowr.

Lastly, The usual Dose to be given at one time, is usually two, three,
four, or five ounces, according to the age and strength of the Patient,
the
season of the yeer, the strength of the Medicine, and the quality of the
Disease. "

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa