[Sca-cooks] online glossary

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Jul 26 22:07:14 PDT 2001

Greetings from Johnnae llyn Lewis

"Cindy M. Renfrow" wrote:

> Here are some more words for you to mull over:

> mirabolans, malacadonians
> (A Closet for Ladies and Gentlewomen, 1636) - To preserve Mirabolans or
> Malacadonians...Take your Malacadonians, stone them ...

I am wondering if this is a version of a recipe that appears in Martha
Washington's
Booke of Cookery. See page 248-49 Recipe S37 TO PRESERUE MALAGATOONES.
Karen Hess identifies them as Melocoton (melum cotoneum) and says they
are
a Cydonian apple... a peach grafted unto an quince tree.Popular during
Elizabeth 1st and 17th century. She suggests peaches for a substitute.

> rowle spoone =
> (A Closet for Ladies and Gentlewomen, 1636) - To make Muskadine Comfits...
> some cut with a rowle spoone on the sides...

Again this appears as a "roule" as in "cut sume with a roule".
 Recipe S197, p. 352. in Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery.
Karen Hess identitfies it as a "small stellar wheel with sharp
edges."  We might say it's a forerunner of a pastry wheel or even
the pizza cutters that are found in every kitchen drawer.

Hope this helps.

Johnna Holloway