[Sca-cooks] period cheeses, lactose-free cheesemaking

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Fri Jul 20 17:06:05 PDT 2001

In lists.sca.sca-cooks, you wrote:

>Uh oh, it looks as if lactose is crucial to cheesemaking:

That was my understanding, yes.

>So apparently it is possible to make at least soft cheese from Lactaid
>milk.  And if you only have a problem with cows milk and cows milk products
>but not goats milk you can eat cheeses made from goats milk.

Wouldn't normal cheese with lactaid pills work?  I admit I know very
little of this subject, but it seems obvious to me.

Also, many people (such as myself) seem to be sensitive to fresh milk
or cream but fine with cultured milk products such as cheese or yoghurt.
I can quite happily sit here chowing down on a huge wedge of cheddar
with crackers but have to think about whether to drink coffee with milk.

Yours,

Katherine

--
Lady Katherine Robillard  (mka Kirrily "Skud" Robert)
katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/