[Sca-cooks] OT? List volume

Sun Jul 22 08:46:19 PDT 2001

> Of course, the interesting part is
> that the internet was originally designed to route information to its
> destination in case of nuclear war or some other disaster (like burning
> rail
> cars, I guess) regardless of breaks in the network.

Internet traffic will route around bottlenecks, but it is limited to the
speed and volume of the path.  Taking out a primary nexus in a physical
network can slow things down tremendously.  Also, if a segment is connected
to the network though the damaged nexus and without secondary connections,
then the segment becomes isolated and talks only to itself.

>     We had a case down here where a backhoe operator cut a fiberoptic line
> north of Orlando, and most of peninsular florida was cut off completely -
> no
> LD phone service, either. I assume that the national defense aspects of
> the
> internet has gone by the wayside . . .

The military maintains multiple, redundant communications systems for
national defense, which do not route civilian traffic.  Parts of the systems
can be isolated but the majority can maintain communications in an
emergency.

The internet, as it stands, was never part of the national defense system.
It's origin was an experiment in peer-to-peer networking to test the
feasibility of maintaining communications in the event of a national
disaster.

>     My question is, when the lines are fixed, are we going to all get
> swamped with a barrage of messages in queue somewhere?
>
>     Sieggy

Possibly, if the isolated mail servers provide store and forward
capabilities.

The drop in traffic may also be because of Pennsic preparations, or, as in
my case, a number of other projects require my immediate attention.

Bear