[Sca-cooks] A Proper newe Booke of Cokerye (mid-16th c.) online

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 23 12:47:54 PDT 2001

>From: "Cindy M. Renfrow" <cindy at thousandeggs.com>
>Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 23:50:38 +0200
>

>http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/bookecok.htm
>

>'Scuse me, but does this say what I think it says? He must have put up
>quite a squawk.
>
>To make Blewe manger.

<<<<snip>>>>

>Here is a site listing other equally horrible live animal recipes.
>http://www.godecookery.com/incrd/incrd.htm
>
>Anyone know of more?
>
>Cindy

I'm certain it's not period (but crabs are) but my neighbor used to make
hard shell crabs in sauce.  To make the sauce he would peel the shells off
the live crabs and pull out the "mustard" to make the sauce then tuck the
shells back on the crabs and cook them in the sauce.

VERY TASTY but I had to leave home every time I knew he was going to do
this....
Olwen